Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My RANT about the Tourist and others like it.


December 11, 2010

RANT

Just saw the movie the Tourist… One critic had it summed up perfectly by saying “Pretty people… pretty lame.”  It was pretty unimaginative.  I guess when you’re Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp you can bring people into the theatre on the strength of your looks alone.  Never mind a story that’s sub-par.  At least, the backdrop for every scene was also pretty nice to look at.  Primarily Venice.  Can’t argue with Venice.

So that’s what you got: Jolie.  Depp.  Venice.  Throw in some Russian mobsters and some law enforcement officers all looking for the same guy and you’ve got a movie.  Not really. 

Let me first remind you that I have an aversion to simple movies.  I have an aversion to formulaic movies that are so blatantly formula that my brain gets zero exercise.   Yet again, it seems 98% of the movies that are ever made (the one’s that make it to the local Cineplex, anyway) are like eating plain oatmeal for breakfast every morn with no sugar and no fruit.  But at least with the oatmeal there are some health benefits from it.  I get nothing from a simple plot with a predictable outcome.   I don’t find that entertaining.  And entertaining is what I paid my 11 dollars for.

Other than what I described earlier, I really don’t know how to say what this story is about what giving the one main “twist” away.   Yes, I put it in quotes because I’m not sure it’s really much of a twist.  But please, go see it – if you like eye candy, you don’t mind predictable, don’t care to be intrigued, and like fluff with no substance (I actually like the main actors, especially Angelina).  Every once and awhile I also like cotton candy, but when you have it a couple times a year versus every weekend you don’t mind it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment